tyle=”text-align: justify;”>Cultural issues in nursing practice
Pick one culture from this week’s readings with whom you have never worked. Discuss the family organization, behavior, traditions, and beliefs for that culture.
People of Arab heritage
People of Haitian heritage
People of Hindu heritage
People of Iranian heritage
People of Jewish heritage
- How do family traditions and cultural legacies contribute to and/or inhibit an individual’s self-identity? What do you know about your family history? How is this history shared, and how is it valued among individual family members? Beyond its literal meaning, what are the broader implications of the cliché’ “keeping the family name alive”? Or has this cliché outlived its validity?
- Personal Autonomy and Health Policy Choose a current health policy issue or law that has ongoing relevance in public health. Some options include, but are not limited to, banning trans fats in local municipalities, controlling the size of sugary drinks sold in restaurants, requiring nutrition information on menus, indoor and outdoor smoking bans, removing sugary drinks from schools, or mandating vaccines for health care workers or children entering school. Describe why the chosen policies or laws are controversial. In your response, discuss how these policies affect personal autonomy (the cost to the individual) to benefit society. Provide a professional statement* on why these policies and laws are important to the overall health of the community. *Personal and professional opinions may or may not align. It is very important in your employment to be able to provide a professional opinion, regardless of how it aligns with your personal beliefs. Professional opinions are based in research and fact and reflect the beliefs of the organization as a whole and all those who work for the organization.
- Evaluating a film for its significance to the study of social justice movements
- What similarities and differences do you see across the four religious traditions? How has this shaped your thinking about other religious traditions?
- Examine the basic tenets of the following two religious traditions: Judeo/Christian and Islam, and then describe the significance of the similarities that you find. What recurring themes do you see in the following core elements of these two major religious traditions?
- Who determines what counts as deviant behavior? Within a family, within American society, within government, on the job? Do those who determine deviant behavior engage in deviant behavior?
- A corporation in the United States is about to expand its business globally. As part of this expansion, it will begin to sell its products in Europe and Asia. In addition, it plans to open a manufacturing plant in Asia. The president and chief executive officer (CEO) is concerned; he has heard many stories of companies that have tried to expand globally, but operations either failed miserably or did not live up to expectations because of the cultural differences. The CEO has asked your group to research problems that other corporations have had with the process of expanding globally and develop a plan to avoid these types of intercultural errors and missteps. As a group, you will select a multinational corporation or international nonprofit agency that has encountered these problems (this can be a previous or current employer of yours). Using the Internet and the library, each individual in the group will research the corporation or organization to discover any cultural barriers that the corporation or organization encountered as it attempted to expand globally. Need 5 different references… this is important You can either do it on McDonalds or Coca-Cola.
- For this Discussion, you will investigate how another organization conducts assessments. Begin by finding out whatever you can through Web searching about your local or state health department's approach to assessment and strategic planning. Find out also if there are initiatives at the state level to coordinate health assessments from the various communities in the state. If so, are there tools and forms available to do that? (See the Iowa state Web site as an example: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/chnahip/reports_2005.asp.) Then locate and interview someone who has been involved in community health assessment and strategic planning at either a local or state level. To find a person to interview, contact your local health department. Depending on the size of the department, you may wish to ask to interview the director or else ask to be referred to someone who has participated in assessment and strategic planning. If you prefer, you could instead call your state health department; each state should have personnel who deal with coordinating strategic plans from individual counties, and one of these individuals might be a good person to interview. Your interview may be conducted over the phone or via e-mail, or in person if you prefer. (Note: You must transcribe or summarize your interview and post it.) Prepare your thoughts and questions carefully in advance so you can be succinct in your interview. In your interview, you should ask them questions along these lines, as well as any other questions you think are appropriate to the organization or individual you are working with: 1. How do you assess the needs of your community? How often do you conduct assessments? 2. What use did you make of the assessment data? Did you develop a strategic plan or something similar for your department and/or for the community? Please describe this plan. (For example, how detailed is it? Is it a long-range plan?) 3. What are your thoughts about the assessment process? How well is it working? What are specifc strengths of the process from your perspectives? Any barriers or difficulties to overcome? Then: # Identify the organization and title of the person you contacted (for privacy purposes, however, do not identify the name of the person you interviewed). # Summarize the findings of your interview, highlighting what you found most surprising or interesting regarding the challenges and benefits of the community health assessment process. Is there anything you would do differently or do you have suggestions for improvement? # Post a transcript or detailed summary of the interview as an attachment; this will allow other students who are interested to learn more about this organization's assessment process.
- Discuss the spirituality, death rituals, and health care practices or beliefs of this culture.?People of Navajo Indian heritage,?The Amish
- central beliefs of Judaism.central beliefs of Judaism.