Choose one legislator on the state or federal level who is also a nurse, and discuss the importance of their role as advocate for improving health care delivery. What specific bill(s) have they sponsored or supported that has/have influenced health care?
- Choose one legislator on the state or federal level who is also a nurse, and discuss the importance of their role as advocate for improving health care delivery.
- For this Discussion, you will investigate how another organization conducts assessments. Begin by finding out whatever you can through Web searching about your local or state health department's approach to assessment and strategic planning. Find out also if there are initiatives at the state level to coordinate health assessments from the various communities in the state. If so, are there tools and forms available to do that? (See the Iowa state Web site as an example: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/chnahip/reports_2005.asp.) Then locate and interview someone who has been involved in community health assessment and strategic planning at either a local or state level. To find a person to interview, contact your local health department. Depending on the size of the department, you may wish to ask to interview the director or else ask to be referred to someone who has participated in assessment and strategic planning. If you prefer, you could instead call your state health department; each state should have personnel who deal with coordinating strategic plans from individual counties, and one of these individuals might be a good person to interview. Your interview may be conducted over the phone or via e-mail, or in person if you prefer. (Note: You must transcribe or summarize your interview and post it.) Prepare your thoughts and questions carefully in advance so you can be succinct in your interview. In your interview, you should ask them questions along these lines, as well as any other questions you think are appropriate to the organization or individual you are working with: 1. How do you assess the needs of your community? How often do you conduct assessments? 2. What use did you make of the assessment data? Did you develop a strategic plan or something similar for your department and/or for the community? Please describe this plan. (For example, how detailed is it? Is it a long-range plan?) 3. What are your thoughts about the assessment process? How well is it working? What are specifc strengths of the process from your perspectives? Any barriers or difficulties to overcome? Then: # Identify the organization and title of the person you contacted (for privacy purposes, however, do not identify the name of the person you interviewed). # Summarize the findings of your interview, highlighting what you found most surprising or interesting regarding the challenges and benefits of the community health assessment process. Is there anything you would do differently or do you have suggestions for improvement? # Post a transcript or detailed summary of the interview as an attachment; this will allow other students who are interested to learn more about this organization's assessment process.
- In Week One of this course, you were asked to find a child to observe. For this assignment, you will observe the child using the requirements below and summarize your observation. This can be done in one sitting, or it can be done in two since you will be conducting two different observations. Two is preferable for accuracy of assessment. For the observation you will need to: Be sure you have the permission of the child’s parent. Exclude any identifying information for this child (e.g., last name) Follow the guidelines on pages 141-144 of the course text regarding behaviors during the visit (ethical conduct, avoiding personal bias, etc.). Be sure you have the appropriate materials ready: You will need either a Running Record Form or an Anectodal Record Form, whichever you choose. For this form, you will choose one developmental domain to observe (e.g., cognitive, physical, motor, or language). You will need either a Time Sampling Form or an Event Sampling Form, whichever you choose. For this form, you will choose one developmental domain to observe (e.g., cognitive, physical, motor, or language). Example: Assessing “Bobby,” I would first observe his motor development using an anecdotal record form. In a different sitting, I would observe his cognitive development using an event sampling form. For the assignment, you will need to include: A title page. A copy of the completed Running Record Form or Anecdotal Record Form (remember this should address one domain). A copy of the completed Time-Sampling Form or Event Sampling Form (this should address a different domain). A one page summary of the observation(s). In this summary, include: How you felt the observation went and why. How receptive you feel the child was and why you feel that way (if using one of the video options state the reaction of the child upon being videotaped as you see it). The most challenging aspect of this observation. The most enjoyable aspect of this observation. What you learned from this experience. What you would change next time. A one-page paper providing some developmentally appropriate activities you might implement for this child in the classroom or daycare center to foster growth in each of the developmental domains you observed, and why those activities are a good fit for this child. Your two-page paper should be in proper 6th edition APA format. Remember to submit two written pages, both observation forms, and your title page in one document. Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
- Write a memo on a state (not federal) level business dispute. Describe as if you were writing a “white paper” for your boss who wants to know how a case like the one you have chosen would be processed throughout the various legal phases in a state court system.
- Researchers routinely choose an alpha level of 0.05 for testing their hypotheses. What are some experiments for which you might want a lower alpha level (e.g., 0.01)? What are some situations in which you might accept a higher level (e.g., 0.1)?
- Every city in the State of California is required by state law to have a general plan. Find the general plan for a city in California – the name of the city should start with the first letter of your first name (i.e., if your name is Larry, you could choose Los Angeles). Go to that city’s website. Choose one of the “elements” of the General Plan and browse through it. How long is it? What are some of the things that they talk about?
- What is the poverty level in your aggregate community that you chose? How many people live below the poverty level in that community? What does this mean for the community (what issues arise from the poverty level and the number of people below the poverty level)?
- Death Investigations and the Role of the Forensic Nurse Custom Essay Death Investigations and the Role of the Forensic Nurse INTRODUCTION “Above all, realize that nursing care doesn’t have to stop because a patient has expired. We can do so much more for people who suffered questionable deaths by focusing on forensics. Nurses can help families gain closure and assist law enforcement with their investigations because we have cared enough to maintain the integrity of the evidence.” (Erricksen, 2008, p. 43) This quote from Debbie Rice, RN, NREMT, an emergency nurse at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, FL, could be used to help define the role of forensic nurses in death investigations. All nurses, first and foremost, must care for their patients. That caring does not end when the patient is dead, but can help the death investigator to the best job possible in assisting in investigating the cause and manner of death.
- Conduct a literature search to locate at least one article that addresses the role of the nurse practitioner in improving patient safety and quality of care delivered. Once you have done this, prepare a posting in which you: Describe the role of the NP in promoting quality and safety in the U.S. health care system. Propose a minimum of three methods for the NP to ensure continuous improvement in the quality and safety of healthcare systems.
- Propose a health policy change (that is currently a bill, a law, or may not exist at all) at the state or federal level that you believe needs to change and why.