Individual, Society, & Health In Education / An Historical Perspective
A 12 page paper discussing what the work of four educational theorists — Maria Montessori, John Locke, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi — can offer to health professionals in the field of nursing. Bibliography lists ten sources.
- For this Discussion, you will investigate how another organization conducts assessments. Begin by finding out whatever you can through Web searching about your local or state health department's approach to assessment and strategic planning. Find out also if there are initiatives at the state level to coordinate health assessments from the various communities in the state. If so, are there tools and forms available to do that? (See the Iowa state Web site as an example: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/chnahip/reports_2005.asp.) Then locate and interview someone who has been involved in community health assessment and strategic planning at either a local or state level. To find a person to interview, contact your local health department. Depending on the size of the department, you may wish to ask to interview the director or else ask to be referred to someone who has participated in assessment and strategic planning. If you prefer, you could instead call your state health department; each state should have personnel who deal with coordinating strategic plans from individual counties, and one of these individuals might be a good person to interview. Your interview may be conducted over the phone or via e-mail, or in person if you prefer. (Note: You must transcribe or summarize your interview and post it.) Prepare your thoughts and questions carefully in advance so you can be succinct in your interview. In your interview, you should ask them questions along these lines, as well as any other questions you think are appropriate to the organization or individual you are working with: 1. How do you assess the needs of your community? How often do you conduct assessments? 2. What use did you make of the assessment data? Did you develop a strategic plan or something similar for your department and/or for the community? Please describe this plan. (For example, how detailed is it? Is it a long-range plan?) 3. What are your thoughts about the assessment process? How well is it working? What are specifc strengths of the process from your perspectives? Any barriers or difficulties to overcome? Then: # Identify the organization and title of the person you contacted (for privacy purposes, however, do not identify the name of the person you interviewed). # Summarize the findings of your interview, highlighting what you found most surprising or interesting regarding the challenges and benefits of the community health assessment process. Is there anything you would do differently or do you have suggestions for improvement? # Post a transcript or detailed summary of the interview as an attachment; this will allow other students who are interested to learn more about this organization's assessment process.
- Personal Autonomy and Health Policy Choose a current health policy issue or law that has ongoing relevance in public health. Some options include, but are not limited to, banning trans fats in local municipalities, controlling the size of sugary drinks sold in restaurants, requiring nutrition information on menus, indoor and outdoor smoking bans, removing sugary drinks from schools, or mandating vaccines for health care workers or children entering school. Describe why the chosen policies or laws are controversial. In your response, discuss how these policies affect personal autonomy (the cost to the individual) to benefit society. Provide a professional statement* on why these policies and laws are important to the overall health of the community. *Personal and professional opinions may or may not align. It is very important in your employment to be able to provide a professional opinion, regardless of how it aligns with your personal beliefs. Professional opinions are based in research and fact and reflect the beliefs of the organization as a whole and all those who work for the organization.
- how an individual’s ascribed social class position at birth may affect what Max Weber called life chances, or the ability of an individual to attain the following “good things” that a society values: good health care
- Your assignment is to write a 2-3 page essay in which you address the scenario below. Suppose that you have a house guest from another country. He is curious about the lifestyles that we tend to lead in the United States. He wants to know why there seems to be such a big problem with nutrition and lack of exercise. Explain to him why nutrition and exercise are important to the health of our society as a whole. Case assignment expectations: Use information from the modular background readings as well as any good quality resource you can find. Please cite all sources and provide a reference list at the end of your paper. LENGTH: 2-3 pages typed and double-spaced. The following items will be assessed in particular: 1. Your ability to explain why lifestyle factors such as nutrition and exercise are important to the health of a society 2. Some in-text references to modular background readings (APA formatting preferred) Be sure that your opinion is justified with evidence from the literature. Try to use several scholarly references for each assignment. All references should be cited properly in the text of the paper as well as at the end. Please limit your response to 3 pages maximum. Assignments are due on the Monday after a module ends.
- Describe the effects that the statistical information on a specific race or ethnicity in the areas of health, crime, employment, or education may have in terms of being a predictor of behavior. Provide your opinion on the most likely effects these statistics will have on an individual.
- Compare the pros and cons of continuing nursing education related to the ANA Code of Ethics, and use the comparison to support mandatory continuing nursing education.
- Does your organization have an adequate nursing education plan? What role should nursing leaders take in nursing education?
- History of Education and Philosophy of Nurse Education Custom Essay
- Technology and nursing education: Optimal education
- Technology and nursing education: Optimal education